Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Opening Day

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! April 6, 2015 marks the opening day for the New York Yankees. The 162 game journey begins today. All the heartache, the disappointment, and sadness from last year no longer matters. Every one is on an equal playing field.

My beloved New York Yankees are taking on the Toronto blue jays. My wish is that I could be at the stadium, but instead, I have no choice but to view it on television. Pride enters my soul as the announcer states, “Ladies and gentlemen your 2015 NEW YORK YANKEES”, however as they start introducing all of the players, something saddening crosses my mind. This will be the first time since I started watching baseball that Derek Jeter will not be playing and my positivity on the season starts to fade.

The crowd cheers for the players as they are introduced, then Alex Rodriguez enters the field. He was suspended for the whole year. Surprisingly, he gets the loudest cheer. Introductions are over and the game starts. Tanaka throws a 1-2-3 inning and all of a sudden my mood changes from thinking, “This is a rebuilding year” to me thinking of October, the playoffs, and a world championship. Even though, we end up loosing the game 1-6 and disappointed crosses my mind once again, I realize there are 161 more games to go, and even more if you count the play offs.

Vocabulary
Journey (noun) – a distance or course that takes a long time
Heartache (noun) – emotional pain
Disappointment (noun) -- a feeling or failure, defeat, or frustration
Beloved (adjective) – greatly loved
Pride (noun) – a high opinion of one’s importance
Saddening (verb) – to make or become sad
Positivity (noun)-- a state of being positive
Suspended (verb) – to come to stop, usually temporarily

Vocabulary Exercise
Directions: Unscramble the vocabulary words below.









Grammar Point: Nouns
A noun is a:
1. Person -- ex: Derek Jeter
2. Place -- ex: Toronto
3. Thing -- ex: field
4. Idea -- ex: disappointment

Write a sentence, including a noun from each category.

No comments:

Post a Comment